The Must-Have Cake Decorating Tools for Beginners
You have already perfected the art of baking cakes, so now is the perfect time to move on to the next level, which is
mastering the art of cake decorating. Unlike baking where you have to master and improve on recipes, cake decorating is an entirely different thing. Cake decorating can be something as simple as filling and frosting a chocolate cake with buttercream icing, or it can be as complex as piping intricately designed flowers on top of a cake with several Tiers. The end goal of cake decorating is to create a smooth, polished finish. Clean lines and precision always matter, no matter how complicated or complex the decorations become. Jumping from baking cakes to cake decorating can be somewhat overwhelming, but by using the right cake decorating tools, you will be on the right track most of the time.
Whenever you start a new hobby, or explore a new passion, there’s always that initial investment you have to make. Even if you’re switching from a somewhat similar hobby – such as from baking cakes to decorating cakes – you will still need to make sure you have the right tools in your kitchen in order to become successful. Cake decorating never stops and new thing arrive everyday, you can not learn what you need to know in this line of work in 3 years you learn new things everyday and just keep on learning.
If you’re starting out in cake decorating, here are 14 of the basic cake decorating tools you need to have in your kitchen:
- Mixing bowls– These are great for mixing the ingredients you’ll need when making your frosting.
- Stand mixer– This is a pillar in every baker’s kitchen. Not only is this useful when making cake mixes, you can also use this equipment in making frostings that will give your cake a nice finish.
- Piping bag with different Icing tips– Once done covering your cake with icing or fondant, one of the easiest ways to decorate your cake is through a piping bag. One large and one small round nozzle, and a star-shaped one will get you started, but to make life easier, why not get a set instead of buying individual tips? Having different nozzles gives you the flexibility to come up with different effects for your cake by using just one piping bag to have a few would be better! If you don’t have one yet, you may improvise by using a resealable plastic bag. Snip off a tiny corner, stuff it with icing, and begin piping!
- Gel food colour – These are thicker than liquid food colorings. A little goes a long way, as these provide an intense, rich colour even with just a small amount. As a beginner, you can start with a couple of primary colours, which you can mix together to create new colours but in the long run it is better to have all colours on hand.
- Cake turntable– This is a convenient kitchen gadget to have that makes your work a whole lot easier as it allows the cake to be turned easily. It minimizes the movements you have to make when decorating all sides of the cake. It is also good for your posture as well, as the cake is elevated and is nearer to you as compared to placing it on top of a kitchen counter or table.
- Fondant cutters– These are somewhat similar to cookie cutters, but are specifically designed to cut fondant
instead of cookies, you can use other cutters just make sure you keep them well looked after. By using this, you always have perfectly-cut fondant that is nice and even, in any shape you desire. There are many kinds of fondant cutters in the market today. There are plunger cutters, ribbon cutters, and the regular, ones.