1.How to Store your Edible Photo Topper:
Keep your topper in its bag or sleeve until you are ready to use it.
Keep it flat and don’t put anything on top of it to risk spoiling it.
Keep it out of direct sunlight or the colours may fade.
Our toppers stay edible for several months, but we recommend that you use within two months for the picture to stay sharp.
2. Prepare Your Cake: Your printed edible photo can be applied to almost any kind of icing such as fondant, sugar paste, royal icing, The icing on your cake or cupcakes can be any colour, but as the topper is made from very thin icing dark colours like chocolate may not always be suitable. Try white chocolate instead. If you have a very wet icing, ganache, or a covering with a high fat content (such as butter or cream cheese) then we suggest you make a backing plaque from roll-out fondant or sugar paste. This should be about the same size and shape as the topper. Place the topper on the plaque and put this on your cake top. Otherwise you should apply it just before serving the cake, as the photo has no time to absorb the moisture or fat.
3. Prepare Your Edible Photo: Keep your topper in its plastic bag or sleeve until you are ready to use it. Take it out of the bag or sleeve before applying it to the cake to allow time for it to dry out slightly. This will make it easier to peel from the backing sheet.
4. Remove Your Edible Photo from the Backing Sheet: Please understand, there is NO single correct answer to this problem, since the climate conditions and humidity of each part of the country or even the world are different or change seasonally. Drying time and methods depend entirely on the ambient humidity. In some cases the humidity may be so high that the edible image will NOT easily release from the paper or comes apart in small pieces. In these conditions we recommend the following methods that have ALL worked successfully:
The topper should peel off easily – DO NOT FORCE IT! If it is sticking to the backing sheet, this is probably due to the temperature and humidity in the room. Try using a thin Palette knife by going around all edges of the image and then underneath.
PLEASE NOTE: If the weather is warm with high humidity this may take longer. If the topper does not peel off easily, leave it for another hour or two out of its bag or sleeve and check it every 30 minutes. Do not leave it overnight or let it dry out completely as it may become brittle and crack.
This process is faster in a warm room with air-conditioning or central heating.
5. Apply Your Edible Photo Topper: DO NOT WET THE TOPPER – this may cause the colours in the image to run.
Hold the topper gently and place the middle onto the cake first, then smooth it out to the edges with the palm of your hand.
If any bubbles or wrinkles appear in the photo gently pat them out with DRY fingers.
If you accidentally tear the topper icing – DON’T PANIC! Just rub very gently with a dry finger and it will merge back together and the tear will disappear after an hour or so.
6. Your Finished Cake: After a few hours your picture will blend into the icing and look like it has been printed onto the icing. The time this takes and the results will vary depending on how dry your icing is. If you have used a very dry topping, or if you need to serve the cake straight away you can pipe some icing around the image to hide any visible edges.